Favorite "Meditation of My Heart"

Call unto me,

and I will answer thee,

and shew thee great and mighty things,

which thou knowest not. --Jeremiah 33:3 KJV

Friday, July 16, 2010

One-On-One Time

Ed and I try to get some type of one-on-one outing with each of our kids at least once every 3 months. The kids call it "mommy & me" or "daddy & me" time. Since adding the new family members, we have struggled to get every one's time scheduled, but we are getting back on schedule!

Yesterday I took Grace to Joplin to the beauty shop and then to McAllister's for salads. It was nice to get to hear her thoughts and ideas without any interruptions! I learned that she REALLY wants to be home schooled again this year, which is great! I REALLY want to have her home schooled again. The only problem is I budgeted for only Corrine and with a few budget busting medical bills, well I just don't know where the extra funds will come from before school starts. So now I have something new to pray about and to try not to worry about, but I look forward to seeing the answer God gives. I'm calling the curriculum place that I use on Monday and hopefully they will have some ideas too.

Today I took David (& my coupons) to the movies to see Despicable Me. Then we went to McDonald's for a Happy Meal. It was such a special time. During the previews, David patted my arm, leaned over and said, "This is really nice, just us. Thanks mom". Then after he ate his Happy Meal in record time, I suspected that he must have been really hungry so I asked if he needed more to eat. David said, "That's what makes you a great mom, you always know what I'm thinking. Can I have more fries?" (This stuff just melts my heart when he says it because he is so sincere.)

As he ate his second order of fries, I asked him if he wanted to be home schooled this year too because I've learned if one asks, then the others are probably thinking it too. He said no because he like riding the bus and seeing his friends everyday. My fiscally responsible side was relieved, but my education side had secretly hoped that he would want to be home schooled too.


David has struggled in reading and he is just starting to understand who God is and why He cares for us. I know homeschooling would give me more time to help him. However, Ed and I have always believed that each child is unique in their education needs so while David was telling me what he liked at school, I knew that a home school day would seem like an eternity to such a socially motivated boy. Then my thoughts turned to wistful thinking of longing for a good Christian school for David.


As my thoughts tried to drift to discontentment, I quickly caught myself and prayed a quick prayer, "Lord you are preparing David for Your purposes. If a Christian school is needed, You will provide. If home schooling is needed, then I know You will change the desires of his heart. Please protect him as You prepare him for Your plan and purpose for his life."

Then as the house quieted this evening, I realized that I needed to say a similar prayer for Grace. I can pray for funds for curriculum, but what if that is not what God needs as her preparation for His service. So tonight I pray, "Lord, give me the resources to home school Grace if it will best prepare her for Your service. Change the desires of her heart, if it would not be the best preparation. Protect her as You prepare her for Your plan and purpose for her life. And help me be content with Your provision and not wanting more than my kids need. I do trust You and know that You know better than I what they need."

If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if [he ask] a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall [your] heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him? --Luke 11:11-13

No comments:

Post a Comment