Favorite "Meditation of My Heart"

Call unto me,

and I will answer thee,

and shew thee great and mighty things,

which thou knowest not. --Jeremiah 33:3 KJV

Thursday, June 24, 2010

J-O-Y!

When I was a pre-teen, I attended a Christian camp in southwest Missouri called Camp Joy. At camp Joy, we learned a camp song that told us "J" is for Jesus, "O" is for others and "Y" is for you. The song explained that Jesus was to be our first priority, then others and lastly ourselves. But even before learning that song, one thing was for sure, I have always had a lot of joy, a lot of smiles and a lot of loud laughter.

I am a happy person, but ironically rarely optimistic which has always puzzled me because one would think optimism and happiness would be linked and perhaps they are for most people. However, I truly believe my happiness is much bigger than just an emotion.

My happiness is motivated by intrinsic joy. Joy that makes me feel thankful and alive and full of energy. Joy that makes me see humor and the good (example: it could always be worse) in even the most uncomfortable or perplexing of situations. Joy that grows even greater when I'm taking care of my spiritual health and wellness. Joy that helps me see the needs of others and joy that gives me the energy to get involved in others needs and help create opportunities for them to have those needs met.

What would happen if I lost my joy? I would lose hope and peace too because they are all tied together. Its a good thing that my hope, peace and joy are not in jeopardy.

(BTW- Now the camp slogan says Y is for yourself, but I'm sure it stood for you in the 70s. Must not have been grammatically correct.)

Therefore with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation. --Isa. 12:3
Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation. --Hab. 3:18

No comments:

Post a Comment