Favorite "Meditation of My Heart"

Call unto me,

and I will answer thee,

and shew thee great and mighty things,

which thou knowest not. --Jeremiah 33:3 KJV

Thursday, April 11, 2013

The Best Reasons to Home School

There are thousands of great reasons to home school so I doubt that I can list them all in one blog entry so I'm going to list the benefits that have impressed me the most as a home school mom.

Aviation is not a typical elective in
public school, but it can be
for home schoolers.

  • The opportunity to independently study any topic with primary source materials.  No one is limited by the textbooks' information.  Books, documentaries, news articles, letters and even in-person/email/ Skype interviews can be easily added to the learning experience.  I love asking my kids how they know something and the answer is not just "that is what my book (or teacher) said". (Nor is it, "that is what google said.") 

  • Explore interest such as learning to play an instrument, voice lessons, scuba diving, flying a plane, horticulture, animal care, sewing, cooking...there are no limits. 

  • Explore how our community works and meet the people who are resources in our community.  Home school kids learn through volunteerism, observation and questions as they interact as part of the community instead of just studying about the community.  This is  especially true at election time!  My kids knew more about the library bond issue than I did and could discuss its merits and drawbacks with any one in town.

  • The kids learn how to learn without constant supervision.  Home schooling usually requires kids to learn how to find information themselves because no one is hand feeding it to them.  Most of the time, the kids work on their own on projects and assignments without help.  When the kids need help, my first question is usually, "What have you tried?" followed by, "What else can you do to try to solve this problem?" 

  • Not limited by labels like "gifted" or "special" or the million other categories that kids can get put into in a school setting.  I'm amazed by how many home school kids who would probably qualify to be labeled as "learning disabled" go to college.

  • No distractions by immature social behaviors like malicious gossip or teasing, and the kids learn to ignore and not participate in these behaviors when they see them in peers.

  • I learn more as they learn. (Okay, truthfully...sometimes I remember what I learned as they learned...but I hate to admit what I've forgotten.) Plus tutors assure that kids are not limited by my knowledge, interests or skills.

  • A few last benefits....awesome field trips, other amazing home school families to give you support and getting to be amazed by my kids' creativity and hard work because I see their skills develop first hand.
To me the most important reason to chose to home school is because God has shown me that some of my kids have a need that home schooling can best meet with its unique benefits.  Therefore, after prayerful consideration, He has directed me to home educated and I am obedient to His direction.
 
Study to shew thyself approved unto God,
 a workman that needeth not to be ashamed,
rightly dividing the word of truth. ~~II Timothy 2:15 KJV

1 comment: