Favorite "Meditation of My Heart"

Call unto me,

and I will answer thee,

and shew thee great and mighty things,

which thou knowest not. --Jeremiah 33:3 KJV

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Carla's Recipes

My cousin Carla always had a new recipe to try out on us at family gatherings.  From her teen years (my earliest memories), I remember her always bringing a new recipe to reunions or when just visiting.  It was usually dessert and it was usually, unusual but delicious!  As a small tribute to Carla I am going to share a few of my favorite Carla recipes.  And yes, they are all desserts!

Apple Pie
Kneed together:
1/2 cup Butter
1 cup Flour 
And pat out in the pie pan.  (This is the bottom crust.)

Mix 6 cups sliced fresh apples, 1 1/2 cup sugar, 3 T. Flour & 1 t. cinnamon.
This is the filling.  Put it in the pie pan.

Mix 1 cup melted butter, 3/4 cup brown sugar, 1 cup flour. 
Pat out by hand and lay on top of the apples in the pie pan. 
(I pat it out on wax paper and then put it on top.)

Bake at 350 degrees until golden brown. (About 35-45 minutes)

Zucchini Bread
3 cups raw grated, unpeeled zucchini
1 cup oil
3 cups flour
2 cups sugar (1 brown & 1 white)
1 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
1 1/2 cup chopped nuts (such as walnuts)
1 1/2 cup coconut
3 eggs
2 t. vanilla  

Mix together.  For variations, add canned fruit or raisins. 
(I sometimes omit the nuts.) Put in small loaf pans.
Cook at 325 degrees for 60 to 90 minutes depending on the size of the loafs.
This is a VERY moist bread and freezes well.

Zucchini Brownies
Cream together:
1/2 c oleo
 1 1/2 c sugar
 2 eggs

Mix in 2 c flour
1 t baking soda
 1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 T. cocoa

Then stir in 2 c grated zucchini
1 c chocolate chips
and chopped nuts if desired

Bake at 350 degrees in 9X13 greased and
floured pan for 40-45 minutes. Frost if desired or eat as is. 
My kids like it with Hershey syrup drizzled over it.
Freezes well unfrosted.


Photo from 2009:  Grace & David eating strawberries
dipped  in sour cream and brown sugar.  Carla, Corrine
& Grandma are visiting in the background. 

Carla and our cousin Brenda taught my kids the "only" way to eat strawberries.  Hold on to your hats because this is weird and even weirder is the fact that ALL my kids like it.  Dip a fresh strawberry in sour cream and then in brown sugar and enjoy!  I don't agree with my kids about it being the "only" way, but it is a very delicious way to enjoy fresh strawberries!

No comments:

Post a Comment